CERT

The Community Emergency Response Team Program trains residents in basic disaster response skills, light search and rescue, and disaster medical operations.

CPR & FIRST AID

About 92 percent of sudden cardiac arrest victims die before reaching the hospital. Immediate CPR can double, or even triple, a victim’s chance of survival. Learn two easy steps that can save a life.

RESOURCES

Disasters, whether natural or man-made, can strike at any time. The impact can be reduced through a good understanding of preventive actions plus having the knowledge of certain life-saving tools and techniques.

FIRE SAFETY

Every year in America, over 4,000 people die and more than 20,000 are injured in fires. Find fire safety tips for your home and business.

IN THE NEWS

1/14/15 Carbon Monoxide- The Silent Killer

Carbon Monoxide is a product of incomplete burning of fossil fuels such as oil, gas, or coal.  Carbon Monoxide commonly referred to as CO, is an invisible, odorless, tasteless, gas.  It can kill you before you even know it is there.

Carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms are vague and often people believe they have the flu.  Common symptoms include headache, fatigue, dizziness, confusion, and nausea. 

The only way to know you have carbon monoxide in your home is to have a Carbon Monoxide Detector.  The detector is designed to activate at exposure levels below those at which symptoms usually occur.  Because they sound before the symptoms people sometimes assume they are faulty.  Please contact the fire department any time your Carbon Monoxide Alarm sounds.

CO is typically only a hazard if your home has gas powered appliances such as furnace, clothes dryer, stove or oven, water heater or fire place.  Any other appliance that is not part of your home such as a generator  that runs on gas fuels should be placed outside (NOT IN A GARAGE). 

Vehicles also produce Carbon Monoxide.  A vehicle running in a garage can cause extreme amounts of carbon monoxide.  Even with the garage door open a running vehicle can increase the amount of CO to 500 parts per million within 7 minutes.  This amount of CO in a room can cause headache, fainting, and confusion.  By the time you reach 800 ppm unconsciousness and respiratory failure will happen.

Please be cautious of Carbon Monoxide year round and warm your vehicles up outside.

UPCOMING EVENTS

May 9, 2015 - Firefighter Adventure Run

ABOUT THIS EVENT:  The Boles Firefighter Adventure Run will be a 5K, obstacle/fun run.  This event is a totally unique and fun 3-mile obstacle race and experience created by firefighters for EVERYONE (including a fun children’s area).  Participants will expect to get wet, muddy and have a BLAST!
For more information visit: www.fireadventurerun.com

PROCEEDS WILL BE DONATED TO THE MIGHTY OAKES HEART FOUNDATION  (www.mightyoakes.org)

MIGHTY OAKES Heart Foundation is dedicated to providing financial support to families coping with the traumatic reality of congenital heart defects, the most common birth defects in the United States. In an effort to help improve the treatment of congenital heart defects, the foundation will also endeavor to identify leading research-and-development grant recipients.


 

 

Sign-Up For Our Newsletter

The newsletter is available in print form. Please contact us with your address if you want to be put on print only list.
Go to top